One of the hardest parts of cutting out processed foods for me was changing up my kids snacks… Owen was young enough when we changed our eating habits to not register any change, but Jacquelyn was another story. She was the queen of processed snacks. Goldfish, Annie’s Bunnies, Oreo’s… you name it and the kid wanted it. I tried again and again to make a whole wheat version of a cheese cracker, but either failed miserably or decided it was waaaay too much effort. Until, I stumbled upon these gems. They are easy, crispy, cheesy, and only one ingredient. Yes, you read that right. One ingredient. Cheese. In our case, organic cheese from grass-fed cows. Doesn’t get much better than that!
3. Cut cheese into approximately 24 teaspoon sized chunks and evenly spread among cookie sheets. You can also grate the cheese and scoop teaspoon sized piles onto the cookie sheets.
4. Bake for 8-10 minutes, until cheese spreads out and begins to turn brown at the edges. It’s better to err on the side of overcooking, rather than undercooking. If you take them out too soon, they won’t crisp.
5. Immediately pull parchment off hot cookie sheets an onto cool surface. I set it straight onto my granite countertops. If you leave cheese chips on cookie sheet to cool, they won’t crisp and will be overly chewy and gummy.
6. After 5 minutes, eat em all up. I dare you to try to save some for later.
7. Four additional things… one time I shredded the cheese and added some spices – garlic, paprika, and cumin. It was amazing. You can be creative here. Secondly, you might want to transfer them to a paper towel to soak up the excess grease. I don’t bother with this step, but you might want to. Third thing – feel free to grate more than one type of cheese. Cheddar and parmesan are particularly delightful. And lastly, dip these suckers in salsa or guacamole. Trust me. You won’t regret it.
Posts may contain affiliate links. If you purchase products through an affiliate link, your cost will be the same but Flax + Honey will receive a small commission. This helps in covering the costs to keep the site up and running. We appreciate your support!!