5 days in to our no grain challenge and we are going strong. Happy to have dabbled in grain-free cooking and baking over the past year, or this would have been really hard. However, it has been fun and easy. I’ve had ingredients stocked in my pantry (well, sad excuse for a pantry… more like shoved into my cupboard), and have been easily able to serve up 3 meals a day (plus a lunch to send with husband to work) and have literally avoided all grains. Too early to report any changes, but so far we feel great. These bars can be easily made Paleo if you sub the milk for coconut milk or almond milk. On to the berry bars.
I froze a bunch or organic berries from the farmer’s market this summer. And boy, am I glad I did. Those blackberries were perfect in these bars. Although, you could use another berry, fresh or frozen. Or a combo of berries. Easy, super yummy, and grain-free. Even if you eat grains, give this one a try. Coconut flour is really healthy for you, and you might be surprised how you feel after a protein filled breakfast instead of a carb filled one. Give em a try!
1 cup blackberries (or other berry of your choice)
1. Preheat oven to 350F. Grease 8×8 baking pan with coconut oil, set aside.
2. In a large bowl, or the bowl of your stand mixer, combine dry ingredients (coconut flour, shredded coconut, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda, salt). Stir (or mix on low speed) to combine.
3. Add in wet ingredients (honey, smashed bananas, coconut oil, eggs, vanilla, milk). Stir (or mix on medium speed) until thoroughly combined.
4. Fold in berries, and scoop into greased baking pan. This batter is similar in texture to cookie dough, so it won’t pour. And once you scoop or spoon it in, press down a bit with your spatula so that it is evenly distributed.
5. Bake for 35-40 minutes, until crust is golden. Wait until completely cool to cut. Serve with pastured butter, honey, or jam. Enjoy!
Posts may contain affiliate links. If you purchase products through an affiliate link, your cost will be the same but Flax + Honey will receive a small commission. This helps in covering the costs to keep the site up and running. We appreciate your support!!