These are for sure one of our favorite new snack items. All four of us love them. They are grain-free, gluten-free, salty and sweet, and couldn’t be easier to make. They are crunchy and chewy at the same time, too… which really is the way a granola bar should be. These are almost vegan…. replace honey with maple syrup if you need a yummy vegan snack!
- 1/2 cup almonds
- 1/2 cup macadamia nuts
- 1/2 cup cashews
- 1/2 cup sunflower seeds
- 1/2 cup pumpkin seeds
- 1/2 raisins
- 1/2 cup dried apricots, chopped
- 2 tablespoons cocoa nibs
- 1/4 cup shredded coconut
- 1/2 cup coconut oil
- 2/3 cup almond butter
- 2/3 cup honey
- 2 teaspoons 100% pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 cup mini chocolate chips (I like “Enjoy Life” brand)
- Combine nuts and seeds in food processor, and pulse until roughly chopped. You can use any combination of nuts and seeds you want, as long as it totals 2 1/2 cups.
- Pour nut/seed mixture into a large bowl.
- Add shredded coconut and cocoa nibs and stir to combine.
- Add dried fruit, and stir again. You can use any type of dried fruit as well, as long as it totals 1 cup.
- In a medium saucepan over low heat melt coconut oil, almond butter, honey, vanilla, and spices. Simmer for 3-5 minutes once combined, until thick and bubbly.
- Pour mixture into nuts / seeds and stir until everything is evenly coated.
- Pour into 8×8 baking dish, lined with parchment paper and press down firmly.
- Sprinkle mini chocolate chips on top, and press into bars. If you mix these in, they will melt and creat a gooey mess. Trust me, I’ve tried. So just save them for the last step and press them on top.
- Put in freezer for 1-2 hours to harden.
- Cut into desired size bars, store in refrigerator.