These are for sure one of our favorite new snack items. All four of us love them. They are grain-free, gluten-free, salty and sweet, and couldn’t be easier to make. They are crunchy and chewy at the same time, too… which really is the way a granola bar should be. These are almost vegan…. replace honey with maple syrup if you need a yummy vegan snack!
- 1/2 cup almonds
- 1/2 cup macadamia nuts
- 1/2 cup cashews
- 1/2 cup sunflower seeds
- 1/2 cup pumpkin seeds
- 1/2 raisins
- 1/2 cup dried apricots, chopped
- 2 tablespoons cocoa nibs
- 1/4 cup shredded coconut
- 1/2 cup coconut oil
- 2/3 cup almond butter
- 2/3 cup honey
- 2 teaspoons 100% pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 cup mini chocolate chips (I like “Enjoy Life” brand)
- Combine nuts and seeds in food processor, and pulse until roughly chopped. You can use any combination of nuts and seeds you want, as long as it totals 2 1/2 cups.
- Pour nut/seed mixture into a large bowl.
- Add shredded coconut and cocoa nibs and stir to combine.
- Add dried fruit, and stir again. You can use any type of dried fruit as well, as long as it totals 1 cup.
- In a medium saucepan over low heat melt coconut oil, almond butter, honey, vanilla, and spices. Simmer for 3-5 minutes once combined, until thick and bubbly.
- Pour mixture into nuts / seeds and stir until everything is evenly coated.
- Pour into 8×8 baking dish, lined with parchment paper and press down firmly.
- Sprinkle mini chocolate chips on top, and press into bars. If you mix these in, they will melt and creat a gooey mess. Trust me, I’ve tried. So just save them for the last step and press them on top.
- Put in freezer for 1-2 hours to harden.
- Cut into desired size bars, store in refrigerator.
These look wonderful. I can’t wait to try them. Thank you so much for all the Paleo recipies. I just started my 30 day challenge and love the ideas. The Lemon Squares were way better then I expected them to be. Yummy. My weakness is lunch ideas for me and my son. So, if you have any awesome ideas for easy lunches let me know.
Evan, I’m a friend of your Mom’s in Lexington.
Hi Donna! Thanks for leaving a comment! I made these for the first time yesterday and I think you should run to the store and grab your ingredients as soon as possible 🙂 They are amazing. Let us know how you like them!
Hey Donna. Awesome job on starting Paleo challenge! Lunches are hard! A lot of the time I make extra dinner on purpose, and then eat leftovers for lunch the next day. I also get wild caught salmon and tuna (canned) and then make tuna salad, or form patties and pan fry them for tuna or salmon burgers. Salads are always quick and easy with left over meat and hard boiled egg…. I’ve also been enjoying polish sausage with saurkraut and mustard on top. I’ll post again if I can think of anything else! hope that helped a little! -Erin
Donna this is Marianne and I made a great paleolithic Chili! Great for a week of lunches!
Just made these this morning! Love them!
These are fantastic! Good snack or great for breakfast. Once again Erin, you amaze me!
Awww, thanks Nicole! xoxo -Erin
I am curious about the Kerry Gold butter and the chocolate chips. The butter actually contains milk and the choc chips had cocoa butter. Are these okay for the paleo challenge? What are your thoughts. Dave and I are starting our own 30 day paleo challenge tomorrow. I just want to make sure I am not messing us up. A girl in the office is doing the crossfit paleo challenge, so I thought what the heck. It can’t hurt, right?
So we use Enjoy Life chocolate chips which are dairy and soy free, so I think those are a good option…. and the KerryGold butter I suppose isn’t TECHNICALLY dairy free, but the dairy proteins are so minimal most paleo people consume it freely. Here is an article from a reputable paleo source on the butter subject… http://www.marksdailyapple.com/grass-fed-
butter/#axzz2fgPkk2z5 hope that helps! And yay for you for starting challenge. It has changed our lives – for the better!! -Erin
Thanks Erin that was helpful. I am excited to make the granola bars and the yellow cake. Suzette