If you are anything like me, starting my day without protein is a bad idea. If I get lazy and don’t cook eggs in the morning and instead go with a piece of toast, I feel hungry, bloated, and sluggish. That is one reason why I love making breakfast quinoa… it is a complete
protein. Quinoa is most closely related to beets, spinach, and chard and is not a true grain. Also, it’s gluten free for those of you who are intolerant. Anyways, I recently tried cooking quinoa in the morning and loved it. It’s similar to oatmeal, only it is packed with protein. I cook my breakfast quinoa once a week and portion it out for my breakfast throughout the week, adding whatever toppings I want each morning. Give this amazing food a try for breakfast. It won’t disappoint!
- 1 cup rinsed quinoa
- 2 cups water
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- Toppings: unsweetened coconut, almonds, pecans, fresh fruit, raisins, milk, coconut milk, etc…. (Obviously, to make this Paleo, skip the milk!).
1. If you haven’t already rinsed your quinoa, do that now. It can be a bit bitter if you haven’t rinsed it, so don’t skip this step. I use a really fine strainer, or a coffee filter set into a larger strainer would work as well.
2. Combine rinsed quinoa and water in a medium saucepan on the stove and bring to a boil.
3. Once boiling, reduce heat to a simmer.
4. Add vanilla and cinnamon.
5. Cover, and cook until quinoa is soft and all the water has been absorbed. Usually about 12 minutes.
6. Add toppings, and enjoy!
This recipe makes about 2 cups of cooked quinoa. For me, this stretches for 4 breakfasts.