These little bite sized treats are so amazing. So easy to make, and so delicious. They are an absolute fav with both my kiddos. This recipe makes quite a few (40+), so I keep some in the refrigerator and some in the freezer for when we run out. We have a constant supply of macaroons around here. A treat I feel good about serving to my kids? Boom.
Oh, I almost forgot… I use the egg whites that are leftover after I make ice cream with the yolks.
- 5 egg whites
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pure almond extract
- 1/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 5 cups unsweetened, shredded coconut flakes
1. Whip egg whites in mixer with whisk attachment until egg whites are white, fluffy, and slightly stiff.
2. Add honey, salt, almond extract, and vanilla extract and whip for another minute or two.
3. Combine with shredded coconut.
4. Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
5. Spoon tablespoon sized spoonfuls onto cookie sheets lined with parchment paper. You can make them bigger if you’d like. I usually get about 40 macaroons. Also, I don’t press into tidy ball shapes, I just scoop coconut right onto tray without forming balls. Either way is fine.
6. Bake at 350 for 8-10 minutes. Be sure to check frequently – they burn quick! Enjoy!